Paul A. Lisovicz
Paul A. Lisovicz is a shareholder of the Firm.
Paul’s practice is concentrated in the areas of products liability and commercial litigation, and also involves the defense of other litigated matters such as construction-defect claims, professional liability, toxic exposure and casualty claims. He has a busy appellate practice that has resulted in far-reaching higher court decisions on topics as diverse as the constitutionality of the tolling provision of the New Jersey statute of limitations, the extent of a manufacturer’s duty to warn of open and obvious dangers, and the burden of proof for punitive damages in a strict liability case.
In respect of products liability and commercial litigation, Paul represents numerous companies, including the manufacturers of motor vehicles, power equipment, mechanical devices, industrial machinery, chemicals, minerals and medical products. Previously, he was a Partner with McElroy, Deutsch & Mulvaney, LLP, and was a founding partner of Coughlin Duffy LLP.
Published Federal Court Cases
- Acosta v. Honda Motor, Inc., 717 F.2d 828 (3rd Cir. 1983) (involving the burden of proof for punitive damages in a strict liability case).
Published State Court Cases
- American Nurses Ass’n v. Passaic General Hosp., 98 N.J. 83 (1984) (apportionment of responsibility between competing insurance policies)
- Height v. Kawasaki Heavy Indus., 190 N.J. Super. 7 (App. Div.), certif. denied, 94 N.J. 615 (1983) (duty to warn of open and obvious dangers)
- Coons v. Am. Honda Motor Co., Inc., 96 N.J. 419 (1984), cert. denied, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. v. Coons, 469 U.S. 1123 (1985) (constitutionality of tolling provisions of New Jersey Statue of Limitations)
- Morris v. Krauszer’s Food Stores, Inc., 300 N.J. Super. 529 (App. Div.), certif. denied, 151 N.J. 77 (1997) (land-owner liability for violent crimes committed by third parties).
- Product Liability
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Commercial Litigation
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D. 1982)
- Articles Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Rutgers College (B.A. 1977)
Awards and Honors
- Rated AV Preeminent Martindale Hubbell. (This list is issued by Martindale Hubbell. A description of the methodology used for inclusion can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1991)
- State of New Jersey (1982)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1982)