Julia C. Talarick
Julia C. Talarick is a shareholder of the Firm.
Julia counsels and represents primary, excess, and surplus lines insurers, self-insureds and third-party administrators in claim handling, insurance coverage litigation, ADR proceedings, arbitrations, and bad faith litigation. She counsels captive insurers on policy terms, claim handling and litigation as well. She counsels a major insurance broker on annual filings, licensing, and issues involving insurance departments throughout the country.
She has defended insureds in a wide variety of cases including general negligence, product liability, construction defect, employment, pharmaceutical malpractice, truck stop liability/cargo loss, mold, underground storage tank and auto claims. Her work includes all phases of trial work including trial and appellate practice.
She is the past chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Insurance Law Section for the 2015-16 term. Julia is presently co-editor of Insurance Law Section newsletter and regularly writes about new significant insurance cases nationwide. In addition, Julia serves as a member of the NJSBA Malpractice Insurance Committee, Insurance Benefits Committee, and Cannabis Committee. She also serves as President of the Northern NJ Chapter of Claims Litigation Management. She served on District XA Ethics Committee from 2009 to 2014.
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, Anatomy of the General Liability Coverage Form (September 2018)
- Speaker, Construction Law in 2018: Legal Insight into Parties, Contract Terms and Insurance Issues (June 2018)
- Speaker, Insurance Issues Involving Rideshare and Self Driving Cars (December 2017)
- Moderator, 2017 Cyber-Security Law Conference: Protection from Cyber Weapons of Mass Disruption
- Speaker, 2017 – Small Firm/Solo Attorneys Conference: What You Need to Know About Insurance
- Moderator, 2016 Cyber-Security Law Conference: First Annual NJSBA Conference
- Moderator, Overview, New Developments, and Ethical Considerations: Additional Insured Coverage and Contractual Indemnification (2016)
- "Is IMO Predictive of New Jersey Law on Below-Limits Settlements?" 2015 New Jersey State Bar Association, Insurance Law Newsletter (reprinted with permission).
- Presenter, The Big, Not So Easy – The Deepwater Horizon Coverage Decision (2015)
- New Jersey Supreme Court to Address Construction Defect Coverage Issues (2015)
- What You Need to Know About Additional Insured Coverage (2014)
- Don’t Confuse Contractual Indemnification with Additional Insured Coverage (2014)
- Hot Topics in Insurance Law 2014: Captive Insurance (2014)
- Bad Faith Claims (2014)
- Telematics: Friend or Foe-Benefits, Drawbacks & Hurdles (2013)
- Bill to Require Inclusion of “Faulty Workmanship” of Contractor in Definition of “Occurrence” in Commercial Liability Policies Introduced in NJ Assembly (2013)
- Use of Technology to Manage & Evaluate Risk (2012)
- Criteria for Vehicle Liability, PIP and UM/UIM Coverage (2010)
- A New Era: Motor Carrier Coverage Form & CSA 2010 (2010)
- NJ Coverage and Liability Seminar: Additional Insured/Priority of Coverage Issues (2010)
- PIP and MEB Exposures under Commercial Auto Policies (2010)
- NY Appellate Division: Insurers Must Provide Operations Coverage for Asbestos Claims under Primary Policy (2009)
- Divided Supreme Court Holds No UM Coverage for Drive-by Shooting (2009)
- 2007 Case Law Highlights in NJ Auto, General Liability and Workers Compensation Insurance and Tort (2008)
- Covered Auto Symbols in Business Truckers Auto Policies (2008)
- “Small Business Insurance Needs,” Garden State Women Magazine (2006). Co-Author.
- Julia Talarick will be addressing insurance issues at the June 2018 NJSBA Construction Law Seminar: Legal Insights into Parties, Contract Terms and Insurance Issues
- Julia Talarick attended the October 2017 Litigation Management Institute (LMI) sponsored by Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (“CLM”) and hosted at Loyola Law School in Chicago. LMI is the first certification program specifically designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the business of litigation management. The rigorous program is geared toward attorneys and those in the litigation management field with 10 or more years of experience. The program is designed to bridge the gap between legal theory and litigation strategy, and the business aspects of litigation management. Julia now holds the Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP) designation, which has been awarded to less than 800 litigation attorneys nationwide.
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJSBA Cyber Conference in June 2016
- Julia Talarick to participate in Fun Run for Special Olympics June 2016
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJBSA Webinar on Excess Demand Letters in August 2016
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJSBA Mid-Year Meeting in October 2016 on TRIA
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude 1997)
Kean University, cum laude (B.A. 1985)
State of New Jersey (1997)
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1997)
Awards and Honors
- Certified Litigation Management Professional (2017)
Listed in Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2014 - 2018). (This list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the methodology used for inclusion can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
2015 Outstanding Service Award from the Center for Great Expectations
2013 Key Person of the Year, Boys Scouts of America, Troop #113
2008 Outstanding Volunteer for Volunteer Lawyers for Justice
Secretary, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Northern New Jersey Chapter
NJ State Bar Association: Past Chair of Insurance Law Section / 2016-2017 Term
NJ Women’s Lawyer Association
NJ Defense Association
American Bar Association
Graduate, 2000 Arthur T. Vanderbilt Inn of Court