Julia C. Talarick
Julia C. Talarick is a shareholder of the Firm.
Julia counsels and represents primary, excess, and surplus lines insurers, self-insureds and third-party administrators in claim handling, insurance coverage litigation, ADR proceedings, arbitrations, and bad faith litigation. She counsels captive insurers on policy terms, claim handling and litigation as well. She counsels a major insurance broker on annual filings, licensing, and issues involving insurance departments throughout the country.
She has defended insureds in a wide variety of cases including general negligence, product liability, construction defect, employment, pharmaceutical malpractice, truck stop liability/cargo loss, mold, underground storage tank and auto claims. Her work includes all phases of trial work including trial and appellate practice.
She is the immediate past chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Insurance Law Section for the 2016-17 Term, and she served as chair of the Section for the 2015-16 term. She also serves as secretary of the Northern NJ Chapter of Claims Litigation Management. She served on District XA Ethics Committee from 2009 to 2014.
Publications and Presentations
- Moderator, Overview, New Developments, and Ethical Considerations: Additional Insured Coverage and Contractual Indemnification (2016)
- "Is IMO Predictive of New Jersey Law on Below-Limits Settlements?" 2015 New Jersey State Bar Association, Insurance Law Newsletter (reprinted with permission).
- Presenter, The Big, Not So Easy – The Deepwater Horizon Coverage Decision (2015)
- New Jersey Supreme Court to Address Construction Defect Coverage Issues (2015)
- What You Need to Know About Additional Insured Coverage (2014)
- Don’t Confuse Contractual Indemnification with Additional Insured Coverage (2014)
- Hot Topics in Insurance Law 2014: Captive Insurance (2014)
- Bad Faith Claims (2014)
- Telematics: Friend or Foe-Benefits, Drawbacks & Hurdles (2013)
- Bill to Require Inclusion of “Faulty Workmanship” of Contractor in Definition of “Occurrence” in Commercial Liability Policies Introduced in NJ Assembly (2013)
- Use of Technology to Manage & Evaluate Risk (2012)
- Criteria for Vehicle Liability, PIP and UM/UIM Coverage (2010)
- A New Era: Motor Carrier Coverage Form & CSA 2010 (2010)
- NJ Coverage and Liability Seminar: Additional Insured/Priority of Coverage Issues (2010)
- PIP and MEB Exposures under Commercial Auto Policies (2010)
- NY Appellate Division: Insurers Must Provide Operations Coverage for Asbestos Claims under Primary Policy (2009)
- Divided Supreme Court Holds No UM Coverage for Drive-by Shooting (2009)
- 2007 Case Law Highlights in NJ Auto, General Liability and Workers Compensation Insurance and Tort (2008)
- Covered Auto Symbols in Business Truckers Auto Policies (2008)
- “Small Business Insurance Needs,” Garden State Women Magazine (2006). Co-Author.
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJSBA Cyber Conference in June 2016
- Julia Talarick to participate in Fun Run for Special Olympics June 2016
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJBSA Webinar on Excess Demand Letters in August 2016
- Julia Talarick to speak at NJSBA Mid-Year Meeting in October 2016 on TRIA
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude 1997)
Kean University, cum laude (B.A. 1985)
State of New Jersey (1997)
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1997)
Awards and Honors
Listed in Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2014, 2015 and 2016). (This list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the methodology used for inclusion can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
2015 Outstanding Service Award from the Center for Great Expectations
2013 Key Person of the Year, Boys Scouts of America, Troop #113
2008 Outstanding Volunteer for Volunteer Lawyers for Justice
Secretary, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Northern New Jersey Chapter
NJ State Bar Association: Immediate Past Chair of Insurance Law Section / 2016-2017 Term
NJ Women’s Lawyer Association
NJ Defense Association
American Bar Association
Graduate, 2000 Arthur T. Vanderbilt Inn of Court