Timothy P. Smith
Timothy P. Smith is a shareholder of the Firm.
Timothy practices in the areas of appellate litigation, products liability, construction defect, premises liability, insurance coverage, insurance defense, and commercial litigation. His appellate practice encompasses a wide range of casualty, commercial, and insurance litigation.
From September 1993 to December 1994, Timothy was a law clerk to the Honorable Robert L. Clifford of the Supreme Court of New Jersey. He was an Associate and later Of Counsel at McElroy, Deutsch & Mulvaney, LLP from January 1995 to March 2004. He joined Coughlin Duffy LLP as a Partner at its inception in March 2004, serving there until March 2016. He joined KLRW at its inception in 2016.
- Givaudan Fragrances Corp. v. Aetna Cas. & Surety Co., N.J. (2017)
- Torres v. Pabon,, 225 N.J. 167 (2016)
- Potomac Ins. Co. v. Penn. Mfrs. Ass’n Ins. Co., 215 N.J. 409 (2013)
- Pellicer v. St. Barnabas Hospital, 200 N.J. 22 (2009)
- State ex. rel. J.D.H., 171 N.J. 475 (2002)
- Tarabokia v. Structure Tone, 429 N.J. Super. 103 (App. Div. 2012), certif. denied, 213 N.J. 435 (2013)
- Flick v. Penn. Mfrs. Ass’n Ins. Co., 394 N.J. Super. 605 (App. Div. 2007)
- Corsie v. Campanalonga, 317 N.J. Super. 171 (App. Div. 1998), rev’d in part, 160 N.J. 473 (1999).
- Contributing author, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey Appellate Practice Handbook, (10th ed. 2015 & 9th ed. 2011)
- Panelist, "The Nuts & Bolts of Navigation and Appeal and Other Mysteries of Appellate Practice." New Jersey State Bar Convention, 2012
- Mr. Smith has lectured on discovery practices and legal writing for the Legal Assistants Association of New Jersey
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Product Liability
- Duke University School of Law (J.D. 1993)
- Rutgers College (B.A., with highest honors, 1990)
- State of New Jersey (1993)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1993)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2001)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2011)
- United States Supreme Court (2003)
Awards and Honors
- Selected by the New Jersey Law Journal as one of New Jersey's "Top 40 Under 40" in 2006. (This list is issued by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the methodology used for inclusion can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Appellate Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Bergen County Bar Association